Wednesday, August 03, 2005

It's the day of the show, y'all!

Dear Devoted Readers-

Good morning from the cusp of we know not what. Tonight is our official opening night and it has been a fabulous ride so far. I know I keep saying how great everything is and how fantastic everyone has been and I must sound like some low-rent lesbo version of Tom Cruise, but trust me on this one folks, the people working on this show and the atmosphere of talent, professionalism and camaraderie is unsurpassed in my experience. As a collaborative ensemble, The Brothers always strive for some kind of synchronicity in order to get our groove on together and inhabit slightly different versions of the same world we are creating. But this devotion to the cult of theatre, our brand of theatre, does not always extend beyond the inner circle of Brotherly wagons. So it is with great pleasure that I realize this morning as I write that we have succeeded in apparently brainwashing the entire staff, production and design crews at NYTW into joining us in our depraved ways. Like the armed forces, theatre is not just a job, it's a career and with the Brothers, it's a lifestyle.

At 79 East 4th Street, we are all Brothers.

So tonight, we do once again what we have all worked so hard to do. We show up at a certain place and a certain time. We wear certain clothes and some of us paint our faces. We check our equipment, look over our cues. We warm up our bodies and minds and voices to prepare ourselves in the ways we need to do our jobs. Then around 7:00, the lights go down and the music plays and we all get on the same ride together and hope that the audience is willing to come along with us.

It's a life of repetition and the trick is to make it seem like it's the first time every time. To make something we have done already new again each night. To make cold words on a page and darkness and space alive and vibrant with our bodies and energies and spirits. It's like church or temple or shul or mosque. At 7:00, we are in a room together with others, thinking individual versions of the same ideas, repeating these rituals that have been repeated by our predecessors.

Don't mean to be going all oogly-boogly on you, folks. But it is for deep and personal reasons that we do this slightly insane thing every night. It sustains us in ways that other more practical things cannot. It is deeply human and flawed and perfect all at once. And we cannot do it alone. Theatre asks of us to commune with our fellows, to experience things together, in real time with real people who breathe the same air and get irritated by same the errant cell phone ringing at the wrong moment. It reminds us we are alive, doesn't it?

Hoping so for tonight.

Please do come see us, won't you friends? Or at least keep us in your thoughts as the comedy and tragedy masks beckon us onto the boards or backstage or in the booth or in the box office. Join us in our little world.

Cross your fingers.

Blogtastically Yours,
moe.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Brothers -
Have a GREAT opening! All of us in cyberworld have our fingers crossed.

11:38 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Break a Leg...or 5!

=8-{>
--Gene
Out North, Anchorage, Alaska

6:28 PM

 
Blogger Corny said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:44 PM

 
Blogger Corny said...

Ooops try again...
You guys ROCKED last night, I was crying with joy (in a very quite, respectful member of the audience and ELITE press, kind of way) so FRIGGEN funny! And woah, those deeply beautiful theatrical moments where I felt TOTALLY sucked in and with you in that crazy hyper-real world you created. Maybe the worst hair-cuts I've seen on stage, I wrote more on my stupid blog...

8:46 PM

 
Blogger sandy said...

So when is the show coming to Connecticut?

Glad to see the bros back. It's a long way from WOW Cafe.

9:49 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome Blog! I added you to my bookmarks. My site is on sony psp cheats if you would like to come and give me a review!

9:55 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good post... thanks.

Jon
my site: stanford binet iq test

10:16 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Darlinks, you look fabulous. I believe there should be a promo night or raffle, where Babs divines the weather and gives key readings, mixed in with a few couplets -- I know, fortune bhaklava! Moe and Lisa give informative tips about how to spice up a relationship and how to master couples therapy and heal a relationship within oneself and between self and other, and where Dominique and Peg... ah, Dominique can tell us her sex secrets
and Peg will tell us how to tell if your mother is a lesbian and other helpful hints.

And y'all can answer my question about what you think about how within the constraints of patriarchy, there is room for clubs and societies of man-boy-love relationships, yet comparable clubs or societies do not exist (that I've heard of--I leave out the Girl Scounts because they are in denial) to march in parades as in fellowship or female counterparts representing the function of woman-girl-mentor/mentee love clubs.

In O@PS, Fate plays the role of certainty. Fate determines, but what it determines is unlcear until after what will happen comes about. Except for Joni, the Tireseus character who has wisdom, but it is questionable if she has any sanity left. Sometimes, she simply makes no sense. Which is a kind of sense, because it leaves you with her words on your mind until you "figure them out" -- that is, you> make sense. Audience participation -- I'm all for it.

I love this play!

I wonder about these categories -- boy/man; a coupling certainly revered in ancient Greece; or girl/woman, which the Greeks would have ignored as insignificant -- which have emerged within and outside of contemporary gay cultures. Due to the powerfully abusive and incestestous inferences, the illegality of coupling wih a minor has set the man/boy couple largely underground. Still, I wonder if somehow the play is speaking to an absence in women's lives -- power? Men? Does the end of O@PS have to do with there not being a woman-girl valuation and mentoring as well established as there is automatically assumed between men and boys

Don't get me wrong, I am not advocating boy/man love societies, I am just pointing out the implications of how for persons "of a certain gender," every representation associated with that gender is already privileged and therefore openly effected by every other association in life -- if not in this play.

I think not in this play. There are no fathers. No fathers are even mentioned. No men related to the women are mentioned. The only mention of a male is "Basil," Fran and Con's three-year-old child. The rest are just passing references. If there is an Oedipus, The characters share this role (except for Joni.) Unlike a previous play, "The Secretaries", where men had to be chopped up like lumber, no father needed to die in this play. He was simply never an issue to begin with, which is to say, he and his real father were already gone. We witness a new staging; the female (?)chorale descends and gives us the real dirt.

Lastly, what about that pool? There's no water; there's water. There's lots of water; there's no water. I don't understand. Who is in charge of the water prop?
How can someone get soaked sometimes and other times emerge without a drip? This is not a sexual question, about the swiming pool.

This is the best acting I've seen from you Bros. as a group ever. Really and truely. Next I wish you would venture into A Midsummer Night's Dream. Fun and flirty. Or maybe Hamlet -- there's witches. 'Nuff said. ENJOY! You are doing tremendous powerful work and changing the face of theatre *again*. You are all so gifted and brilliant, that's what I have to say. Oh, and that and I like what you are doing very much. it. Thank you -- you are fabulous -- your work stays with me percolating like a refilling pot of coffee. It changes a person if they allow it; all that Fate swimming around in the heat and headrush of naked women on stage whose nudity is just another costume. Maybe it's all that caffiene from the perculating coffee. Anyway, Excellent show, Bros. Now answer my questions, please. You can skip the pinapple. Thank you.

10:21 PM

 
Blogger richard said...

congratulations on a fabulous opening night! i was in the audience and feel especially grateful to have been part of such a powerful evening of theater and then a happening party afterwards. absolutely loved loved loved the show and since I got home tonight, I've already started telling all my friends that they MUST go see it! (But why no donuts at the party? How can it truly be a party with no donuts?)

10:52 PM

 
Blogger E said...

This is belated, but heartfelt nonetheless: Break a leg, ladies! Wish I could be there...

Love,

Eric McNaughton

11:44 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was checking the dates of the show on the NYTW website to confirm that I really can't get out of DC to see it, when I saw the link to the blog. You Brothers are always on the cutting edge. It's killing me that I won't see this. I have always considered the time I worked with you as one of the best times I've had in a theatre. My best wishes go to all 5 of you.
Have a great run.
Janet Clark (Clarkeeee)

4:38 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

NSU - 4efer, 5210 - rulez

4:50 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
eXTReMe Tracker