Thursday, August 04, 2005

there's got to be a morning after

Hello Dedicated Readers:

There is not only a morning after, but I am here to tell you that there is also and afternoon and evening after. Our little juggernaut opened last night at NYTW and it was such a sweet evening. Full house of friends and family and general public and they all got on the Oedipus at Palm Springs ride with us and sailed to the end. We're off on our voyage of the run of the show and I speak for all the Brothers here in saying that we could not be happier about the journey.

There was a party after the show upstairs in the rehearsal hall that Alan (see previous blog about Alan) did his magic on and transformed into an East Village version of Palm Springs. It was catered with very nice food that I was hardly able to eat any of, as the crush of people that wanted to talk prevented me from actually getting to the catering table until late into the night after many had gone home. The frozen margaritas were flowing and this coupled with the terrific decor (yes, people there were palm trees!) made for a lovely night. Thanks so much to the people at the theatre who made the party possible. Lynn and the finance folks really turned it out for us. It was the right combo of extra touches and east 4th street realness.

Many, many friends and family came from all over the place to wish us well on our play and this was really touching. There was a huge contingent from California, composed of biological family to the Brothers and our extended families of choice and affinity, ex-loves and current loves (sometimes one in the same), the great folks from NYTW and other assorted theatre-type people. Oh, it was fun.

As the catering crew was leaving and the party was officially over, a small after-party assembled nearby at the rooftop paradise of our director Leigh. The Bros and company went up to the 35th floor and looked out over the twinkly city below, drank some beers and ate some pizza (nobody else was able to eat at the party either) and chatted into the warm Manhattan night. It was like we were in an independent film about making a show. Such nice people we know and are fortunate enough to work with.

See, my theory is that it takes the same amount of energy to make a good show as it does a bad show. There is more or less heartache and buttache of course, depending on the cast of characters and the various obstacles and challenges inherent in every production. But you work just as hard whether it turns out good or bad. OK, maybe the emotional wear and tear is greater on a show that does not do what it's trying to do, and that is no small thing. But you still have to show up and give it your all every day. And you just never know how it's gonna turn out in the end.

On this show, the process was such a wonderful mix of hard work and payoff. I don't know how the critics will respond and I tend to not read any of what is written about it, just because that's always a minefield of some sort, good or bad. I certainly hope that it is well-received because that makes people come and see the play. But there is a huge part of me that is so delighted with how this whole thing developed from the start that I can say I am truly satisfied with what we have done.

I know I've said this before, but I really do have the best job in the world right now. Of course I would like to be saving people's lives or ending the conflict in Darfour or something that has impact in another realm of realness. Alas, I am not very good at those kind of things and theater seems to be what I know how to do. Seeing as how I am not a surgeon that can re-attach blown off limbs or a millionaire who can help people in ways I can only dream about on the occasion when I buy a lottery ticket, I have the best job in the world. For me. And certainly it is my hope that the theatre that we make does help people negotiate the hard job of being human.

So thanks again to all those people who have believed in the Brothers and made it possible for us to present this slightly off-kilter take on a classic piece of our western literary heritage. It has and continues to be a true pleasure.

I will try to get a picture from the party for the blog for tomorrow. A lot were taken but none by me but they can be had so you too can feel like you were there, sipping a margarita and munching on some delicious offerings in faux-Palm Springs style.

See you later.
moe.

2 Comments:

Blogger Corny said...

yea! Congrats, the live palm trees sound excelent.

9:36 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am in Los angeles - how can I get a copy of the play?

kossart@gmail.com

3:24 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
eXTReMe Tracker